Saturday, June 18, 2022

Martin Johnston

Martin (left) and his family c.1968

Martin Johnstone (left) with his family (1969)


from Microclimatology 



 
 

      1. Pebble 

Other people have amber beads on strings
with wrought-silver clasps. Do you hear? -
you're not the only pebble on the beach,
lounging wry there among inert shells.
No work of art: neat silverpoint quarter-smile,
glissando of skin-coloured stone
curved into spring-onion head,
long Paul Klee face.
All right. A small achievement
in the palm of my hand
not quite amused.
You should be on the end of a pencil.
Pebble pregnant with the fear
that there never was a Cheshire Cat - our smiles
our wrinkles: have we been framed?
Ah, but I could tease archaeologists with you
pretending you're Cycladic
(so much younger than you are)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Anne Carson

No you cannot write about Me I think I should go in and see her. Can I stand it. She is shaking. No doubt. I should go in. She’ll be pouring...