Sunday, November 27, 2022

Ravi Shankar


Picture
  With visual artist Betye Saar, MacDowell Colony, August 2014

Contraction

Honest self-scrutiny too easily mutinies,

    mutates into false memories

Which find language a receptive host,

Boosted by boastful embellishments.

Self-esteem is raised on wobbly beams,

    seeming seen as stuff enough

To fund the hedge of personality,

Though personally, I cannot forget

Whom I have met and somehow wronged,

    wrung for a jot of fugitive juice,

Trading some ruse for a blot or two,

Labored to braid from transparent diction

Fiction, quick fix, quixotic fixation.

    As the pulse of impulses

Drained through my veins, I tried to live

Twenty lives at once. Now one is plenty.   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anne Carson

No you cannot write about Me I think I should go in and see her. Can I stand it. She is shaking. No doubt. I should go in. She’ll be pouring...