Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Adrian Matejka

 Adrian Matejka


If You’re Tired Then Go Take a Nap 
  
I never liked bridges or cops & there 
are more of both of them in the suburbs, 
lording over possibilities like stumbles 
  
do stairs. Down the blue & white set next 
to the small gym after first period, shoelace 
caught under a new bully’s foot. He would 
  
have gotten stole on in Carriage House, but 
not by me. Gots to chill or it’ll get worse: 
in blue Jams & pushed off summer’s slick 
  
ledge, long fall into the private pool broken 
into three distinct verses: the flail & giggling 
girls, the sun-stroked lifeguard’s exclamation, 
  
& the red-handed water’s backslap rising up, 
splitting into two, more chlorinated skies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anne Carson

No you cannot write about Me I think I should go in and see her. Can I stand it. She is shaking. No doubt. I should go in. She’ll be pouring...