Saturday, February 18, 2023

Ishion Hutchinson


griot mag _manifesta _biennale -palermo ishion hutchinson Ozio - © Marco Brunelli JOhanne Affricot


Requiem for Aunt May

A calm sign in the trees of May: she's dead, 
not like this dirge staining the air, her name 
recited in the camphor-house where the chalk 
figurine, that haberdashery sphinx reclines, 
riddled by the TV. There no one faces the calendar, 
river-stone talks go under the bridge of condolences, 
and land on the old sofa's shoulder. I, her water-child, 
keep watch over her laminated Savior, nailed 
into the wall, flipping a coin whose head promises 
Daedalus. Someone pries open an album, the cocoon 
postcards wail on the line, pronouncing, Aunt May— 

baker, builder of the yellow stone house, your children 
hatched wings while your face was bent in the oven. 
The mixing bowls, the wooden spoons, the plastic 
bride & groom, knew before the phone alarmed 
the night your passing. So you passed, in a floral dress, 
a shawl softly tied to your head, the house spring-cleaned. 


II 

Enters Daedalus, father, dressed in white, hands 
in pockets, strolling through prayers and smoke 
of the mourning wake. I listen: his limbs 
are pure starch! On the veranda, eyeing 
the gong-tormented sea, seaweeds streak 
his beard, salt rimmed his apologies. I hesitate 
at the labyrinth of father and son, red hurt 
throbbing my ears from my fall on the poppy grounds, 
fog swallowing all that was carried over 
years of saying nothing. Silence, this flame 
held back before erupting, as an oven after heat 
has been sucked from it. I begin in silence 
my life, then and there, as a ghost.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anne Carson

No you cannot write about Me I think I should go in and see her. Can I stand it. She is shaking. No doubt. I should go in. She’ll be pouring...