Thursday, August 17, 2023

Angie Estes



Enchantée - Estes, Angie


The Present State of My Spirit

A Proust Questionnaire Sequence

Angie Estes

 

Sometime during 1889 or 1890, Marcel Proust responded to a
questionnaire that was popular in France at the time. Proust titled
his responses, “Marcel Proust par lui-même” [Marcel Proust by
himself]. Some of the topics he responded to are also the titles of
the following poems:

 

État present de mon esprit: The present state of my spirit
Ma devise: My motto
Le principal trait de mon caractère: The principal trait of my
character
Le don de la nature que je voudrais avoir: The natural talent I
would like to have
Ce que je voudrais être: What I would like to be
Comment j’aimerais mourir: How I would like to die
La fleur que j’aime: The flower I love
Mon occupation préférée: My favorite occupation
Le pays où je désirerais vivre: The country where I would like to live

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anne Carson

No you cannot write about Me I think I should go in and see her. Can I stand it. She is shaking. No doubt. I should go in. She’ll be pouring...