Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Christian Bok



 1. On the Apiary of the World

Airborne honeydew sweetens my spirit with a perfume that, by divine decree, hath enticed me to perform these sonnets for thee, my mæstro, Gaius Mæcenas. Study, with grimness, the plight of puny gods – warlords in a daylong dynasty, whose sieges and jihads I must belaud in song. Scant be my labour, but not my reward, if Apollo favours these rhymes. Annex first to the hive, a haven, blind to winds that hinder foragers in flight, then suffer neither yak nor ewe to trek across these meadows, nor oxen to dash away the dew from phloxes and grasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anne Carson

No you cannot write about Me I think I should go in and see her. Can I stand it. She is shaking. No doubt. I should go in. She’ll be pouring...