Tuesday, May 2, 2023

Ben Lerner

Ben Lerner, the author of “10:04,” to be published Sept. 2.

fromThe Lichtenberg Figures

§

 

 

What am I the antecedent of?

When I shave I feel like a Russian.

When I drink I’m the last Jew in Kansas.

I sit in my hammock and whittle my rebus.

I feel disease spread through me like a theory.

I take a sip from Death’s black daiquiri.

 

Darling, my favorite natural abstraction is a tree

so every time you see one from the highway 

remember the ablative case in which I keep 

your tilde. (A scythe of moon divides 

the cloud. The story regains its upward sweep.) 

O slender spadix projecting from a narrow spathe, 

 

you are thinner than spaghetti but not as thin as vermicelli.

You are the first and last indigenous Nintendo. 

 

 

§

 

            for Ronald Johnson

 

The sun spalls the sluiceway into shards. 

The blind man finds an equivalent for adult films.

The rabbi downs a hin of wine and gives 

 

it a rest. A votive candle is delicately set

into a small, decorative paper bag

weighted with sand and placed in a row

along the dock. The poet will never walk 

again. Not even in poems. 

Lightning bugs set down their loads.

 

Tonight the women have the feel of men 

who’ve worked. For you I have retired a word.

It is the only word that never appeared in your books. 

It was the only word you didn’t know. 

It begins with the letter O.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Anne Carson

No you cannot write about Me I think I should go in and see her. Can I stand it. She is shaking. No doubt. I should go in. She’ll be pouring...